The Winter Cluster
December Beekeeping Tasks
Screened Bottom Boards
- Provides better ventilation.
- Helps to prevent debris such as pollen & dirt from collecting on bottom. Debris on bottom can be a SHB breeding ground.
- Beetle Trap Tray can be used easily with proper dimensioned screen bottom board
Solid Bottom Boards
- Does not provide ventilation.
- Debris collects on bottom and becomes a breeding ground for small hive beetles.
- Can provide better insulation in cold weather. However, screened bottom boards can be closed up for winter to provide sufficient insulation.
- Beetle tray can be used but must sit on top of board & a cleat is used to provide space for bees to enter.